Saturday, June 25, 2005

Is My Blog Burning No. 16: Eggs!

eggs The Seattle Bon Vivant is hosting Is My Blog Burning? No. 16 and the theme this time around is eggs. It's not hard to think of literally dozens of recipes that would showcase the lovely farm eggs of Brookview Farm I buy every week--you know, the ones I've been exhorting you to go down to the Farmers' Market and buy? Wherever you might get them, farm eggs are worth seeking out and paying a premium for--consider yourself lucky if you have access to them at all. In a previous post I mentioned living on a farm and not being allowed to touch a single one of the many, many eggs the chickens there laid every day. In fact, I had to listen to the farm manager complain about all of the eggs she was forcing herself to eat and how monotonous she found it. All the while I fumed inwardly, cursing this woman and her lack of imagination. I had to drive 25 miles into town to buy pricey organic eggs on a grad student's salary! I knew what I would do with all of those extra eggs if I had a chance. As I thought about eggs in the here and now however, the infinite possibilities dazzled me. Should I bake something (I'm always looking for an excuse), should I scramble a few with chorizo (now that's breakfast), or should I just highlight the intrinsic goodness of the egg itself? Deviled eggs are a minimally gussied-up hard-boiled egg and seemed to fit the bill the more I thought about them. Besides, they sustained me through pregnancy. Afterwards, post-partum, post-nursing, I began adding horseradish to the predictable mix and serving them to unsuspecting guests (that's a great face to see). Although they were good, it wasn't until I traded in my boring old jarred horseradish for wasabi that these babies began to sing. You've just got to have the best eggs available for this recipe to make it work, and when you do, you've got a recipe that bites back. Without further ado . . . Wasabi Eggs 6 eggs (if you let them sit in the refrigerator for a few days or even a week after purchasing, the whites will gel a bit more and the egg will be easier to peel) 1/4 cup mayonnaise 1/2 t. Dijon mustard 1/2-1 t. wasabi paste (brands vary in strength, so taste it before adding more) salt and pepper to taste Hard-boil eggs (I wouldn't even presume to tell you how to do this--everyone is convinced their way is the best way). Peel and slice in half those six now chilled and newly hard-boiled eggs. Plunk the yolks in a medium bowl and mash thoroughly with a fork. Add mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, and wasabi. Stir. Season with salt and pepper to taste and fill whites with yolk mixture. Serve proudly and refrain from mentioning your little variation on the traditional deviled egg.

4 Comments:

Blogger Nupur said...

Wow, you photo looks so cool :) but the recipe looks really hot...I'm going to have to try it for my next party!

June 26, 2005 7:56 AM  
Blogger Brandon said...

Thanks so much! And I love the name of your blog!

June 26, 2005 8:32 AM  
Blogger teddles_russ said...

So where are the other two egges eh? hehehehe...

July 09, 2005 10:32 PM  
Blogger Brandon said...

Well . . . they wouldn't fit on the plate so I was forced to eat them. Of course!

July 10, 2005 10:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home